|Type of business||Private, Startup company|
|Headquarters||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Founder(s)||Lior Grossman, Ilan Lewin|
|Native client(s) on||iOS|
Wikiwand (originally WikiWand) was founded in 2013 by Lior Grossman and Ilan Lewin. Officially launched in August 2014, the interface includes a sidebar menu, navigation bar, personalized links to other languages, new typography, and access to previews of linked articles. The list of contents is constantly displayed on the left-hand side.
According to Grossman, "It didn’t make sense to us that the fifth most popular website in the world, used by half a billion people, has an interface that hasn’t been updated in over a decade. We found the Wikipedia interface cluttered, hard to read (large blocks of small text), hard to navigate, and lacking in terms of usability."
The interface is available on Chrome, Safari and Firefox as well as via Wikiwand's website. In March 2015, Wikiwand released an iOS app for iPhone and iPad. An Android app is currently under development.[when?]
In 2014, Wikiwand was able to raise $600,000 to support the development of the interface. It has stated that it intends to raise revenue through advertising and donate 30% of its profits to the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Jillian Wong (21 August 2014). "'WikiWand' Gives Wikipedia Clean New Layout For A Better Reading Experience". Taxi. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "WikiWand". CrunchBase. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "WikiWand". Twitter. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Martin Brinkmann (14 August 2014). "WikiWand is a modernized Wikipedia frontend". ghacks.net. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "WikiWand makes Wikipedia beautiful". TNW. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Web App WikiWand Raises $600,000 To Give Wikipedia A New Interface". techcrunch.com. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Zach Epstein (18 March 2015). "New free iPhone app transforms Wikipedia into a stunning interactive experience". Yahoo. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "About - Wikiwand". Wikiwand. Archived from the original on 8 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WikiWand.|