|Host an event|
Wikipedia's January birthday celebration
Wikipedia Day is an occasion to celebrate Wikipedia's birthday. Every year around January 15 Wikipedia fans organize their own parties in their own communities to discuss Wikipedia and share cake. Typical activities at these events include Wikipedia editors sharing what they did in Wikipedia last year, anyone proposing to share information in Wikipedia in the coming year, Wikipedia training for newcomers, and socializing.
On January 15, 2001, Wikipedia was established. Coincidentally, also on January 15, 2001 Creative Commons registered their website. Creative Commons developed the free and open copyright system which Wikipedia uses, and Wikipedia is the most enthusiastic community of the free media which Creative Commons promotes. Yet another festive event around this time is Public Domain Day, when on January 1 media will enter the public domain if the term of its copyright expired in the previous year.
Feel free to celebrate Wikipedia Day! Celebrate Creative Commons' birthday too, if you like! Combine Wikipedia Day, Creative Commons Day, and Public Domain Day all in one January celebration of open knowledge and free media.
Wikipedia Day 2019
If you would host an event, create a WP:Meetup page for your city or organization and then list it here.
- MIT & New England Wikimedians, Public Domain Day editathon (Jan 15, 2019, 3–6p)
- New York City – January 13, 2019
- [Wikikedada] Donostia-San Sebastián. January 11, 2019
- Wiki Loves Photography en Medialab-Prado, Madrid. January 12, 2019
- [Club Wikipedia] en Valladolid. January 14, 2019
- Instituto de Análisis y Aplicaciones Textuales Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. January 15, 2019
- Espacio de Igualdad Nieves Torres en Madrid. January 15, 2019
- Casa das Letras, Ribadeo. January 17, 2019.
- [Editatón Wiki4MediaFreedom] Madrid. January 18, 2019.
- [Wikikedada] Leioa, Vizcaya. January 25, 2019
- Celebration of Wikipedia 18 at Wikimedia Serbia office, Belgrade - January 15, 2019
Your event here!
Host an event
Anyone can host a Wikipedia Day event! The tradition is to discuss Wikipedia with a group of other people and to have a Birthday cake. You do not need any special permission to host a party. Just do it and have fun.