From today's featured article
Donkey Kong 64 is an adventure video game for the Nintendo 64 console, first released on November 22, 1999. It was the first in the series to feature 3D gameplay. As the gorilla Donkey Kong, the player explores an island to collect items and rescue his kidnapped friends. The player completes minigames and puzzles as five playable Kong characters, each with its own special abilities. The game's exceptionally large marketing budget included advertisements, sweepstakes, and a United States tour. The game received universal acclaim from reviewers, but was criticized for its camera controls and emphasis on item collection and backtracking. It won the 1999 E3 Game Critics award for the best platform game, and multiple awards and nominations from games magazines. By 2004, 2.3 million units had been sold. A rap song from the game's introductory sequence is often cited among the worst songs to feature in a video game. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
- ... that Fred Rogers's 1969 testimony (video shown) resurfaced in 2012 and 2017 to counter calls for defunding PBS and similar non-profit arts-related organizations?
- ... that Benjamin Britten, who composed A Hymn of St Columba for the 1,400th anniversary of Saint Columba's voyage to Iona, wanted it sung "with fire"?
- ... that nurse and suffragette Mary Bartlett Dixon helped establish the first hospital in Easton, Maryland?
- ... that the male of the hoverfly species Syritta pipiens darts sharply in flight to facilitate mating?
- ... that Mustafa Güzelgöz was called the "Librarian with Donkey" as he circulated hundreds of books among villagers in Ürgüp, Turkey, on the back of a donkey?
- ... that the Isaac T. Hopper House, built during the development of one of New York City's wealthiest neighborhoods, is now a halfway house for women?
- ... that Japanese fetish artist Namio Harukawa contributed artwork to a BDSM pulp magazine while still in high school?
- ... that in 1998 a buyer of Colorado radio station KGRE risked his entire savings and maxed out seven credit cards to acquire it?
In the news
On this day