Cadet performing in December 2018
|Birth name||Blaine Cameron Johnson|
|Born||2 March 1990|
Clapham, London, England
|Died||9 February 2019 (aged 28)|
Betley, Staffordshire, England
|Associated acts||Krept and Konan|
The younger cousin of Krept, Johnson began pursuing a solo career as a rapper in 2011, releasing a number of freestyles through YouTube outlets such as OSM Vision and Link Up TV. His debut project, The Commitment, was released in 2016, followed by The Commitment 2 the following year. He is perhaps best known for his single "Advice" featuring Deno, which peaked at number 14 on the UK Top 40.
Cadet first became known for his association with Krept and Konan's Gipset crew in 2006, frequently appearing in music videos for the group's freestyles. Cadet released his first commercial mixtape, Are You Ready, on 4 April 2008. The Gipset crew garnered a considerable following across social media toward the end of 2010 through their freestyles about gang life and London living. Gipset broke up in 2013 after Krept and Konan signed their major label deal, and all other members focused on their solo careers.
Solo career beginnings (2010–2015)
Cadet began pursuing a solo career in 2010. He was featured on the single Dungeon Dragons by Stormzy in 2011 and collaborated with the rapper again in 2012 on the single GrimeWork. Cadet released a series of bars for SBTV throughout his years, including a Warm up session released in 2015.
He released his first freestyle, "Slut", via OSM Vision in July 2015. The song was popular, and had received over 3.1 million views as of February 2019. The following month, Cadet was selected by Link Up TV to appear on their Behind Barz freestyle series, and his freestyle was uploaded to YouTube on 17 August 2015, receiving 2.3 million views as of February 2019. The freestyle attracted praise from American media outlet Complex, who called it "storytelling at its finest" and "better than some rappers' whole mixtape".
Cadet's debut EP, The Commitment, was released in 2016. The EP has features from Donae'o, Konan and Tis Rome. It was the first commercial release by the rapper. Cadet received considerable recognition after releasing "Letter to Krept" in 2016. In "Letter to Krept", Cadet reaches out to communicate with his cousin Krept about a misunderstanding between the pair. Cadet explains their story together, describing the principal events which lead to the distance between them at the point of this song's release. Krept consequently released "Letter to Cadet" to share his side of the story. The single "Corn" featuring Big Tobz was released in December 2016.
The Commitment 2 (2017–2019)
Cadet released his sophomore EP The Commitment 2, a sequel to his first release, in 2017. The EP featured guest appearances from Konan and Ghetts, as well as vocals from Shakka. In the same year, he released the singles Southside featuring Geko, and What's Good featuring Loski.
He released the single Closure, a part 2 to his "Slut Freestyle" in April 2018 to much success which gained international attention. On 29 August 2018, Cadet released the single "Advice" featuring Deno. Cadet was featured on the remix of Rudimental's single Toast to Our Differences alongside Jaykae and Shungudzo which was released on 12 June, 2018. It was his first charting single, initially peaking at number 27 on the UK Top 40, and receiving over 18 million views on YouTube as of February 2019. The song was initially a freestyle which took place in Cadet's car before it was released as a single. His second charting single, "Pumpy", was released on 26 October 2018. The single was produced by Da Beatfreakz and had vocals from Swarmz and AJ & Deno. "Trendy" featuring Ay Em and Tion Wayne was released in December 2018. This would be the last single released during his lifetime.
After consulting his family, Cadet's second Daily Duppy freestyle was released on GRM Daily on 22 April 2019 posthumously.
Johnson was the cousin of fellow rapper Krept, and the two spent much of their childhood growing up together. Johnson converted to Islam at the age of 15 and mentioned his faith numerous times in his music.
On 9 February 2019, Johnson and three friends were en route to a gig at Keele University in Staffordshire when their Toyota Prius taxicab collided with a Vauxhall Combo in Betley, approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) from the venue. Johnson was pronounced dead at the scene, while his friends and the drivers of both vehicles were treated for injuries.
Many of Johnson's contemporaries took to social media to pay tribute. Krept said he was "devastated and broken", and announced that a public tribute would take place the following day in Hyde Park, London. Deno released a tribute for Cadet titled "First Days" on 13 February 2019. Krept paid tribute to Cadet by releasing Last Letter to Cadet on 27 February 2019. The track also featured a verse from Konan.
- "Closure" (2018)
- "Advice" (with Deno) (2018) – UK No. 14
- "Pumpy" (with Da Beatfreakz, AJ & Deno, Swarmz) (2018) – UK No. 70
- "Trendy" (featuring Ay Em and Tion Wayne) (2018)
- "Gang Gang" (2019) – UK No. 82
- "First Days" by Deno (2019)
- "Last Letter to Cadet" by Krept and Konan (2019)
- "Letter to Cadet" by Rapman (2019)
- "It'll Kill You" by Lady Leshurr (2019)
- "Tribute to Cadet" by Clue (2019)
|2018||Shiro's Story||Kyron||Part 2-3 (Short YouTube Series)|
- "UK rapper Cadet dies in car crash". BBC News. 9 February 2019.
- "TALLY on Instagram: "You are all welcome. We are paying a tribute Tomorrow 3pm at Hyde Park. Much love ❤️"". Instagram. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Kreps, Daniel; Kreps, Daniel (7 July 2018). "Watch Drake Deliver New 'Behind Barz' Freestyle". Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Cadet – Behind Barz | @CallMeCadet | Link Up TV" – via YouTube.
- Quinn, Dave (9 February 2019). "British Rapper Cadet Dies at 28 in Car Accident on His Way to a Performance". People. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Busby, Mattha (9 February 2019). "British rapper Cadet dies in taxi crash on way to gig in Staffordshire". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "The Commitment 2 – Cadet: Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Who was Cadet, the rising star who tragically died in a taxi on his way to gig?". 9 February 2019. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Smith-Spark, Laura (9 February 2019). "UK rapper Cadet killed in car crash on way to gig". CNN. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Busby, Mattha (9 February 2019). "British rapper Cadet dies in taxi crash on way to Staffordshire gig". The Guardian.
- "Man who died in Betley collision named – Staffordshire Police". www.staffordshire.police.uk.
- Wilson, Rich. "Cadet: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Stormzy ft. Cadet - Dungeon Dragon (Music Video) on YouTube
- Stormzy x Cadet - GrimeWorks (Music Video) on YouTube
- "Cadet slut freestyle – Video by @1OSMVision [ @CallMeCadet ]" – via YouTube.
- Patterson, Joseph (18 August 2015). "Cadet's New Freestyle Is Better Than Some Rappers' Whole Mixtape". Complex. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Rudimental Detail New Album, Toast To Our Differences, Release Video". Hot Press.
- "Cadet | full Official Chart history". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- ""Pumpy" Peak Position – 2018". Official Charts Company.
- "Premiere: Cadet shines in his second Daily Duppy Freestyle". GRM Daily.
- TALLY (9 February 2019). "My life will never be the same again. I love you and will forever miss you. I cant believe it. I am heartbroken. Rest in peace cuz. You finally started getting the recognition you deserved. Im so proud of you. My left lung. Im devestated and broken right now pic.twitter.com/125pWPMzO1". Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Cadet, the rapper – HNHH – UK". Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Link Up TV. "Cadet – Behind Barz - @CallMeCadet – Link Up TV". Retrieved 10 February 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Cadet, Up-and-Coming British Rapper, Dead at 28 After Car Crash". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Dosani, Rishma (9 February 2019). "'Absolutely broken': Krept leads tributes as cousin and rapper Cadet dies". Metro. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "TALLY on Instagram: "You are all welcome. We are paying a tribute Tomorrow 3pm at Hyde Park. Much love ❤️"". Instagram.
- Morales, Lisa (13 February 2019). "DENO UNVEILS HEARTFELT CADET TRIBUTE 'FIRST DAYS'". Linkup TV. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Oke, Tobe (28 February 2019). "Krept honours the memory of Cadet in 'Last Letter to Cadet'". Complex. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Cadet – Album Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Mensah, De'Graft (21 September 2018). "Shiro's Story: The UK rap action drama with Netflix potential". Newsbeat. Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
It's a gritty UK drama that's had more than 10 million hits and has seen the likes of Not3s and Headie One make their acting debuts.